9.23.2013

Hospital Journey Concludes

It is now Wednesday August 14th, 2013.

I woke up to a wonderful text from my husband that said "Happy Anniversary".  He also sent this picture.
Looks like all our girls slept with their Daddy, even our furry daughter.  And the fact that I only got teary eyed when I got this was a huge plus for the day.  Hopefully today was not going to be the crying my eyes out like yesterday was.  Scott also told me that the girls were needing to come and see me today, basically "my mother hen needed to see me".    Scott was going to go into work in the morning and the girls were going to go to my fabulous neighbors.  We knew that the neurologist would not be stopping by until around lunch time so we knew Scott would be fine going to work he would not be missing anything at the hospital.

I spent the morning with Pat and my Mom was going to come after lunch.  Pretty much the morning was nothing special, just sitting around and waiting to go home.  The nurse did tell me that the more the doctors see me out of bed the better the chances would be for me leaving.  Needless to say, I was walking as much as I could and sitting in the chair rather than the bed whenever I could.  I asked the nurse to ask the neurologist to see if I could be on one of the last stops they make so Scott could get back from work to sit in on the conversation.  So now all we had to do was sit there and wait.  We knew the spinal tap results would not be ready for a couple of days so we were just waiting for the all clear to go home.  After all my girls first day of school was tomorrow!  So basically the word for the day is waiting!

Parts of the day are a little foggy, but I am pretty sure that this is what happened.  If I get anything incorrect, I apologize and I will chalk it up to foggy MS brain and stress.  I cannot remember if my Mom brought the girls or if Pat left to get them which think is what happened.  I do remember that the moment I saw my Mom walk into my room we both burst into tears.  I do not think the nurse knew what to do with both of us crying.  I finally to her not to worry, she was my Mom.  I guess the nurse understood because her just chucked.  You see that is how I am and how my family is.  If one of us gets tears in our eyes and the other one sees it, it is over, we all all in tears.  I was so happy my Mom came.  There is just something comforting about having your Mom by your side when you are sick.

When my girls walked in I almost felt a breath of fresh air.  I was finally going to get the hugs that I have been needing.  And yes I had tears in my eyes.  I was quickly able to dry them up and tell the girls that I was fine and I was hoping to come home soon.  I also showed them the heart monitor wires that were on me and the IV.  I wanted to show them so they would not be scared or afraid to ask me questions.  I think their favorite part was when I took them for a "ride" on the hospital bed or maybe they liked the ice cream the nurse brought them.  They liked how it would go up, down and tilt.  They ended up staying for a good couple of hours.  It was great having them there.  They were the best medicine for me!

Shortly after Scott came back to the hospital a doctor came in.  Thankfully it was not a sea of lab coats like yesterday but it was a nice looking lady.  She introduced herself and said she was specialized with multiple sclerosis.  She went over my MRI and told me that they were convinced that I did in fact have multiple sclerosis.  She also confirmed that we would not know the results form my spinal tap for about 4-6 days.  Then she gave us the best news...I was going home tonight!!!  WooHoo!  Right before she left the head neurologist came in to talk to us.  Both the doctors asked if we had any questions.  Of course we did, but we had no idea where to even start.  The best way to describe what we were feeling was scared and in shock.

We still had some time to kill before we were officially allowed to leave.  I asked if Scott could take me off the floor.  So we got a wheel chair and we left...well we left to go down stairs so Mom could use our parking pass to head back to our house.  I should have known something was not quite right when I was feeling motion sick with Scott pushing my chair, but I chalked it up to his driving.  Hahaha.  After he came back from the parking lot he asked where I wanted him to talk me and I said back to the room, I was very tired.  Plus I did not want them to say we could go home and we were not there!  And sure enough shortly after we were back, they said we could leave!!!  Time to pack my bag and leave!  I proved to myself if you set your mind at something you can make it happen.  My first goal was to be out of there in time to be at home for the first day of school, and it happened!

Well the ride home what not quite as smooth as we would have thought.  I am not going to go into details, sorry about that, but let me just say that I am glad that the sick bags and bucket were still in the car.  It was a VERY rough and long drive home.  Poor Scott got to see me getting sick next to him!  Happy Anniversary honey! He did ask before we crossed the river if we should turn around.  My answer was "No way, keep driving.  I am not going back there!"  When we got home I hugged the kids and said I was not feeling well, got sick a little more and then went to bed.  I think I was asleep by 8.  Not sure about the time but that sounds good.  I lost track how many times Scott checked on me that evening.  I have never been more thankful or felt so lucky to have him!  He truly is my rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment